Friday 21 December 2012

Worship - Why, how and what is it?



Definition of Worship: The feeling or expression of reverence and adoration for a deity

Reverence: Deep respect for

I AM NOT A THEOLOGIAN.  PLEASE DON’T THINK I THINK I KNOW EVERYTHING.  I REALLY DON’T!


Question: What is worship? How do we worship? Why do we worship? How can I worship?

If I were to ask you ‘What is worship?’  What would you say? If someone had asked me that a few months ago I would have said “singing songs to God” or “praying” but actually, I had no idea what it meant to actually worship God. By definition, worship is an expression of deep respect and adoration for a Deity.  By ‘singing a song’ are we expressing deep respect? Are we expression adoration? Or are we just going through the motions that we are used to in order to get home and have our Sunday lunch?



Let’s take two of the questions – ‘What is worship?’ and ‘Why do we worship?’

Worship is thanking, praising and engaging with God.  It’s telling him how much you love him and how much he means to you.  If someone gives you a present, what do you do? You thank them.  God has given us this AMAZING present called life and this AMAZING present called his love and I tell you now, it never runs out.  He never gives up.  He never leaves you. How fantastic is that present? Yeah, I know.  Just think about it.  Think of all those people who don’t know that they have this present - don’t you just want to give it to them? I know I do. So what do I do? I thank him with worship for the best gift I have ever received.  I thank him that whenever I’m kicked down by the bad things he picks me up.  Whenever I lose my faith he’s always there to show me that he loves me.  Whenever I want to cry he’s there to comfort me.  Basically, whenever I need my God I know he’s there. I want to thank him because he’s the best friend, the best father, the best therapist, the best comfort that you will ever have. That is why we worship, because he’s pretty darn amazing.

Plus, he loves hearing you say that you love him. Wouldn’t you?



How can I worship, I hear you ask. Well, let me tell you.

I have a friend called Seannah (Hi Seannah if you’re reading this – I love you!) and man, can that girl sing.  Seannah will tell you herself that I cannot stand next to her when she is worshipping because I cry – and I mean gushing tears.  I’ll tell you for why.  When Seannah sings you can physically feel her praise coming from her soul and through her song and it is the most beautiful thing.  That girl has the Lord inside her and it shows.  I can’t do that.  I’m very jealous. But my point is that Seannah worships through her song and that is how she praises her lord.  Some people praise the lord through their prayer and they have beautiful languages that they can’t even speak pouring from their mouths in adoration of the Lord God. I wish I could do that as well, but I can’t.  You worship God when your soul connects with your head and your head connects with your actions and your actions connect with God. You should worship the Lord in everything you say and do. Are you doing that? In the Bible it says in James 4:8 “Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you” and by worship you are telling God that you want to get nearer. You want more of his love and you praise him.  He will draw closer. He wants to! He wants a relationship with you, so for goodness sake worship him! In Psalm 59:16 it says “But I will sing of your strength; I will sing aloud of your steadfast love in the morning. For you have been to me a fortress and a refuge in the day of my distress” and he is our fortress.  He will protect you from evil. His love never fails, it never gives up, it never runs out and that’s a promise. 



One of my favourite songs has the chorus “I’m coming back to the heart of worship and it’s all about you, it’s all about you Jesus.  I’m sorry Lord for the thing I’ve made it when it’s all about you, it’s all about you Jesus” and it really is all about him. I have made worship about me in the past thinking it was really cool to stand and sing about him when in actual fact it’s not about me at all.  It’s all about him, ALL ABOUT HIM. It’s no longer something I think I should do, it’s something I know I should do and WANT to do. I want to let him know that I’m running to his arms.  I want him to know that I love him. I want to worship him.



My last point, I promise.

My beautiful friend once had a message for me from God.  He had said that He loves me; I am his daughter and his heir.  He is so proud of me and he is my heavenly Daddy. Why the heck would I not thank him, praise him and love him for that? He uplifts when you’re feeling down. He comforts when you’re at the bottom of the pit.  He carries you through the wind and the rain and shields you from the bad weather. He is the only think you will ever need and he provides for you just like he does the birds in the field.  Do not worry. You are loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment